Image 1 of 1
twin lights 015.tif
Twin Lights is situated 200 feet above sea level in Highlands, New Jersey. It overlooks the Shrewsbury River, Sandy Hook, Raritan Bay, New York skyline and the Atlantic Ocean. Twin Lights has been used as an aid to navigation over the coastal waters of NJ since 1828. It was used as the primary lighthouse for New York Harbor and was known as the best and the brightest light in North America. The current lighthouse was built in 1862 and replaced the earlier lights which were beginning to deteriorate.